St. Agnes'-St. Michael's Parish (Roman Catholic), Flatrock-Pouch Cove (NL)

Zona de identificação

Tipo de entidade

Entidade coletiva

Forma autorizada do nome

St. Agnes'-St. Michael's Parish (Roman Catholic), Flatrock-Pouch Cove (NL)

Forma(s) paralela(s) de nome

Formas normalizadas do nome de acordo com outras regras

Outra(s) forma(s) de nome

identificadores para entidades coletivas

Área de descrição

Datas de existência

1916-

Histórico

The territorial boundaries of St. Agnes'-St. Michael's Parish encompass the communities of Pouch Cove, Shoe Cove (incorporated as the Town of Pouch Cove in 1987), and Flatrock (alt. Flat Rock). Initially, this territory formed part of Holy Trinity Parish (Torbay) and was served by visiting clergy. Rev. Edward Troy, parish priest of Holy Trinity (1845-1872), began holding the first Catholic services in a school at Pouch Cove shortly after his appointment to Torbay. In September 1877, a chapel dedicated to St. Joseph was erected in Pouch Cove and, in 1874, a church dedicated to St. Michael the Archangel was erected in Flatrock. St. Michael's was in use until 1967 when it was torn down and replaced by the current church building, constructed in 1970. The cornerstone of the present-day church in Pouch Cove, St. Agnes', was laid in 1916, the same year in which the territory was raised to the status of a parish and gained its ecclesiastical independence from Holy Trinity. In 1985, St. Agnes' Parish underwent an official name change to become St. Agnes'- St. Michael's Parish, representing the equality between the two towns that comprise the juridical entity. However, the seat of the parish remains in Pouch Cove.

Schools have played an integral part in the parochial organization of St. Agnes'-St. Michael's Parish. The first Catholic schools in both Pouch Cove and Flatrock were established in 1843 under the jurisdiction of the Roman Catholic School Board for the region. In the early part of the twentieth century, three schools were in operation within the parish: St. Agnes' (built ca. 1905), Holy Angels' (built ca. 1930), and St. Michael's (built ca. 1930). In 1962, two new schools were constructed in Pouch Cove and Flatrock, replacing the older buildings and phasing out Holy Angels', located in Shoe Cove. Today, only St. Agnes' remains in operation and it is no longer under church control as a result of denominational education reforms passed by the Provincial Government in 1997.

St. Agnes' has had a Parish Council since April 1973, acting as a consultative body to the parish priest in the administration of parochial affairs. The council is elected and meets each month, alternating between Pouch Cove and Flatrock. In addition to the Parish Council, St. Agnes' operates a Finance Committee to aid the parish priest in the administration of the goods of the parish and several sub-committees that oversee liturgical events. Other committees and lay societies that participate in parochial affairs include the Grotto Committee, the Ladies Auxiliary Committee, and the Knights of Columbus.

Pastors who have served St. Agnes'- St. Michael's Parish since its establishment in 1916 include: Daniel O'Callaghan (1916-1917); Joseph Pippy ([1918?]-1920); Lawrence Augustine Fortune (1920-1930); William V. Sullivan (1930-1961); Thomas Cooper, Administrator (1961); Eric R. Lawlor (1961); Charles G. Greene (1961-1970); Gregory Hogan (1971-1972); Patrick Kennedy (1972-1977); John Corrigan ([1977?]-1986); Edward J. Purcell (1986-1989); Reginald Currie (1989-1991); Robert Ryan, Administrator (1991-1994); John Vickers, Administrator (1994-1995); and Frank Puddister (1995- ).

Locais

Estado Legal

Funções, ocupações e atividades

Mandatos/fontes de autoridade

Estruturas internas/genealogia

Contexto geral

Área de relacionamentos

Área de pontos de acesso

Pontos de acesso - Assuntos

Pontos de acesso - Locais

Ocupações

Zona do controlo

Identificador de autoridade arquivística de documentos

Identificador da instituição

Regras ou convenções utilizadas

Estatuto

Preliminar

Nível de detalhe

Parcial

Datas de criação, revisão ou eliminação

Created - May 7, 2013

Línguas e escritas

  • inglês

Script(s)

    Fontes

    Notas de manutenção